CIOGC seeks a Communications Manager
The Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago (CIOGC) is the unifying federation and the leading advocate of Muslim community interests in greater Chicago and throughout the state of Illinois. Representing over sixty Muslim organizations and more than 400,000 Muslims, the CIOGC has been a driving force for almost 20 years. The Council brings together a diverse community, engages youth and empowers local communities. The Council often serves as the first point of contact for organizations that wish to interact with Muslims. The Council has strong relationships and works closely with a variety of government officials and agencies, social justice organizations, faith groups and other civic partners. The CIOGC works tirelessly to establish better community relations through education, special events and other community services.
CIOGC seeks a Communications Manager to oversee all aspects of this growing organization’s internal and external communications. This staff member would be based in our downtown Chicago, IL office and will coordinate communications activities across the organization and raise the visibility of its work within the community, the media, funders and the public. The Communications Manager will implement an integrated communications plan that includes leveraging the CIOGC website, social media, traditional media, and targeted outreach.
The ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism is crucial to this role. Expertise in written and verbal communication skills, strong decision making ability and attention to detail are equally important.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement communications strategy to reach diverse audiences.
- Represent the Council in front of faith groups, civic partners and the media
- Write or edit content for the Council’s communications platforms, including blogs, social media, e-newsletters, website, donor communication and promotional materials.
- Manage the CIOGC and Chicago Crescent website and social media tools to ensure regular fresh content
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive stakeholder database for dissemination and outreach purposes that includes member organizations, community leaders, faith groups, thought leaders and civic partners
- Spearhead efforts to reach out to the media, including writing and sending press releases to key contacts via a media database, handling media-related inquiries and building relationships with key members of the industry
- Work closely with other Council staff to support programs, special projects and fundraising
- Track results of communications outreach efforts, including website statistics, social media and press coverage.
- Develop and maintain collaborative internal communications tools, such as a shared calendar and workspace.
- Liaison with CIOGC Board of Directors and House of Representatives including assisting the Executive Director with regular reports to the Board and supporting Board outreach.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Communications, Public Policy or other related field preferred.
- 3-5 years of communications, public relations, journalism or related experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to speak in front of a large audience
- Detail oriented, self-starter who is able to work independently and in a team environment
- Experience with website content management systems required. Familiarity with graphic design and industry tools such as Word Press and Constant Contact is a plus.
- Extensive experience leveraging social media tools and experience with diverse communications channels such as mobile apps
- Familiarity with issues related to Muslims in the US and abroad, including major institutions, grassroots organizations, policy issues, etc.
- Travel required
Other Essential Skills
- Ability to work with deadlines and targets, and prioritize tasks under pressure
- Ability to work quickly, flexibly, effectively and positively in response to requests made on short notice
- Flexible and adaptable, comfortable with juggling a range of tasks in a fast-moving, dynamic environment, with colleagues and team members
- Pro-active, ability to work under own initiative without direction
- Willing to take on additional tasks as required and to learn new skills
- Willingness and ability to undertake training as needed in order to fulfill the changing requirements of the job
- Excellent interpersonal skills
START-UP SALARY RANGE
Salary is commensurate based on experience.
Candidates are requested to send their detailed resumes (on a confidential basis) to:
Chair, Personnel Committee,
Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago
Please send a copy to JoAnna Shumate, email@example.com
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the Personnel Committee to begin the interview process. Resumes should include at least three references.